Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Children's Books | T5W | Reading With Danielle

So, here's my first official Top 5 Wednesday post! And this one is gonna be a fun one, considering I'm a Children's Literature major in school, so these books are definitely my fave! As per requested in the July Topics post, I'm going to shy away from the obvious choices (like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson). I'll also try to avoid using the same author over and over, even though this could easily turn into a Brandon Mull recommendation post.

These are in no particular order (maybe). Well, they are in a least-to-most favorite order, but except for the number one spot, they're not set in stone.

5. Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
This is the most recent of all of my middle grade books on this list, but it is the only one I gave three stars on Goodreads. It was a good, solid book and I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't wow me. I think it shows Tahereh's potential in a middle grade setting and I'd like to see her write more in this age group!

4. Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
This is only for the first book, not the second or third in the series! I actually really enjoyed this book. That's probably because I'm weirdly obsessed with it's partner movie Descendants. But it was so fun and had great characterization and I gave it four stars back when I read it! The second book was disappointing, though, so I'm just gonna stick with this book and the movie.

3. Fortunately The Milk by Neil Gaiman
This was such a cute little read! Neil Gaiman is a hit or miss for me, but this was definitely a hit. The story was goofy and adorable. The art was quirky and perfect for the story as well. Overall, this was such a fun little read.

2. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
This book caught me by surprise. I was not expecting a simple middle grade about a boy pretending to be a long-lost prince to be mind-blowing, but it ended up blowing my mind. While the other books in the series weren't quite as good as this one, I definitely recommend this book. (Also, there's some debate over whether this is middle grade or ya, but I definitely think it's middle grade, hence why it's in this post.)

1. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
Arguably one of my favorite series of all time, I absolutely had to put this book on the list. Fablehaven will always be one of my all time faves and it is such a fun middle grade series! All of Brandon Mull's books are fun middle grade series, to be completely honest, but this one is his best and the one I recommend the most.

And here are some honorable mentions, which are basically my favorites from back when I was an actual child, rather than an tennager/adult reading middle grade novels...

The Doll People by Ann M. Martin
I read the first two or three books in this series as a kid and absolutely adored it! It's about dolls who come to life when people aren't looking (like Toy Story, but funnily enough as a kid I found this one to be more logical about it all). I loved the art in the books and how it showed different types of toys (like the two main dolls are a new plastic-y doll made for a four year old and an old porcelain doll that was passed down from a grandmother). It was just such a fun read and I'm often tempted to re-buy these books and reread them all.

W.I.T.C.H by Elizabeth Lenhard
Don't get me started about W.I.T.C.H. This is actually a comic book that had a TV show and was also novelized. I read the first few books in the novelization as a child and adored it. I've always been a sucker for magical girl stories and this is no different. I still have fond feelings when thinking about this book.

Peter and The Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
I loved this book as a kid more than I love the actual Peter Pan story. This was so much fun and gave reasons to how Neverland was the way it was and I just ate it up. I read it multiple times but somehow never actually finished the series.

Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine
This is mostly a stand-in for all the Disney Fairies books that were out back when I was eleven or younger. I was obsessed with them and was constantly going to Borders and discovering new ones. These books still hold such a special place in my heart. Once I unpack all of my books, I'm half-tempted to reread some of them!

Don't forget to check out the Goodreads group!

No comments:

Post a Comment